The truth about Nootropics
According to the definition, a nootropic stimulates the memory and improves concentration and while, while being neuroprotective. In the same time, nootropics must be nontoxic, stimulant and cause no side effects (or minimal).
Nootropics appeared in 1972 when a drug called Piracetam showed remarkable properties. An ingredient that can enhance cognition will improve memory functions, perception, communication, psychomotor functions and executive functions. A heightened ability to process information and recall facts come also with the package.
What does “nootropic actually mean?
This made-up word gives a suitable meaning to nootropics due to combining and resuming what these cognitive enhancers really do.
“nous” = “thought”, “understanding” or” mind”
“tropos”=”to turn towards”
Nootropics are drugs used to treat a number of diseases and disorders, such as dementia, schizophrenia, attention deficit hyperactivity or aging. Alzheimer or Parkinson’s patients also benefit from cognitive enhancers.
The main difference between a cognitive enhancer and a nootropic
- Even though different supplements, foods or drugs are a cognitive enhancers, not all the cognitive enhancer are a part of nootropics.
- A cognitive enhancer will stimulate the brain and force improved mental abilities, while a nootropic protects the brain and boosts its capacity.
- Adderall, amphetamines, Ritalin or modafinil will give more energy, but don’t have any neuroprotective benefits.
Benefits of nootropics
- Increase cerebral circulation which determines a better blood flow that delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the brain
- Raise ATP levels in the brain.
- Support neural activity in the parts of the brain that affect memory and learning
- Inhibit certain enzymes or hormones that can break down neurotransmitters
- Boost levels of acetylcholine that is a substance responsible for a higher cognitive function.
- The substance must be able to cross the blood-brain barrier
- Instead of stimulating the brain like caffeine, nootropics boost the brain’s power
- Have almost no side effects
- In order to be classified as a nootropic, a drug has to prove that it enhances metabolic cerebral functions
Derivates of Piracetam, the “ram” family are nootropics and have similar effects as the piracetam.
A substance that helps cell membrane synthesis and plays a major role increasing acetylcgoline levels
Bacopa monnieri or huperzine A have proven to increase cognitive function and improve the memory.
Vitamin B6 or B1 have been researched and their synthetic form can modify dopamine or creatine levels.
As a mix between vitamin B3 and neurotransmitter GABA, Picamilon improves the blood flow while GABA inhibits certain neurotransmitters.
Is the improved form of GABA that links GABA receptors and can cross the blood-brain barrier.
An amino acid that is usually taken with caffeine and helps the release of GABA.
Created due to the analysis of the endogenous peptide tuftsin, Selank is lesser known anxiolytic peptide
Has many beneficial properties, but there aren’t still enough research and tests done to determine its efficiency
Nootropics pose almost no side effects and by their nature, are safe drugs that can boost a person’s cognition without endangering the health of the brain or the body’s.